Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Are you a doubting Thomas or a Peter?

Are you a doubting Thomas or a Peter in the eyes of God?
For the first time ever I went and saw a movie by myself. Ah the horror! I decided I needed some spiritual therapy so I went and saw Son of God. Sweet Philly offered to go with me but I really wanted to just take it all in by myself. So here I am in the middle of a beautiful day hiding in the dark all by myself. Literally all by myself. No one else in the theater but little ol me. I have to admit it was just what I wanted because I knew the flood gates were going to open.
It was amazing just as expected. Also it was moving, touching, encouraging, and horrifying. Horrifying to see what my Savior went through for little ol me. For all of us.
The big take away was the disciples. I will be first to admit that I don't know the complete history of all of these men yet the fascinate me. It was no accident who Jesus chose to walk with Him in those final days. More intriguing is how completely different they all were. From the beginning of introduction to their Teacher until the end these men were so internally different. Each beginning and ending on a different path.
I then realize that in the many seasons of my life I have been just like all of these followers. The season of Peter who would fight anyone to protect His belief in Jesus to only deny Him in the end when things get too heated. The season of John who selflessly loved the Father and carried the Word to anyone who would listen. I have been the doubting Thomas who has not only doubted that God can move mountains but also doubted that God could forgive me. I hate to acknowledge that I have been a Judas. Sacrificing all that I love and know to be true for a few gold coins.
Oh how I have loved some of my seasons and been appalled by others. I have a new season of my life that I am entering and I desperately pray this one sticks around. During this time there is one that I would be honored to be like. She is what I believe to be the first true woman follower of Christ. The sweet adoring Mary Magdalene. I want to be the one who drops everything to be at the feet of Jesus. I want to be the one who believes that He can raise me from the dead and deliver me to salvation. Besides John and Jesus's mother; Mary was the only one who stayed with her Lord until his last breath. I can not imagine the tears she wept. I love that He chose Mary to be the first one to see His resurrected body. The fact she was still visiting His tomb to grieve the death of her Teacher shows her commitment. He knew that there was no one who would believe the sight of Him more than her. All others doubted but the faithful Mary. That is who I want to be. The all loving and consuming passion she had for Him is so beautiful and encouraging. I want to keep that passion.
No matter what season you are in He loves us. We are not defined by what we have done our where we have been. Rather we are eternal children of the Messiah. Won't you follow him?
"Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:42
In faith and love,
Kristie

No comments:

Post a Comment